Inheriting Guns/Estate Questions:
4/21/15 Please note, in an effort to provide the most up to date and accurate information possible, we are currently revising this page, therefore the information below might not be 100% current. If you are a GOAL member and have questions regarding firearms inheritance please call our Director of Education, Jon Green 508-393-5333. Thanks, we will update this page as soon as possible.
- When a gun owner dies, the “heir or legatee” is not immediately in illegal possession if they do not have a license. Chapter 140, §129 gives a 180 day exemption. By the end of 180 days, the person in charge of the estate should have either:
- Transfer the firearms to a dealer
- Transfer the firearms to a person who has the appropriate FID/LTC
- Or, applied for an extension of the time period to the chief of police
- If the deceased had a MA license: It appears that an FA-10 could be filled out during this 180 day period, with the deceased person’s information as the seller, and the new owner as the buyer. The executor/executrix should sign [her name] for the estate of [deceased’s name].
- If it has been longer than 180 days, or the deceased did not have a current LTC, then the sales must go through a licensed dealer.
- If the inheritor is out of state, then have the executor/executrix ship the guns to a licensed dealer in that state OR have the inheritor pick them up directly.
- Inherited guns still need to be registered with the state! Inheriting Across State Lines: If a MA resident with an LTC/FID inherits guns from a deceased person out of state, they may go directly and pick up those guns (provided it is lawful for them to possess those guns in that state as a non-resident). Although the federal government prohibits private transfers across state lines, it does make an exception for “direct bequest or interstate succession.” This is especially handy when we are talking about a person inheriting handguns that may not be “MA compliant”. Inherited guns still need to be registered on an FA-10.
*This page is made possible by the membership of GOAL and their generous donations. If you found this page helpful please Join - Support - Donate to GOAL.