GOAL Brings Civil Rights Violations To Court
On July 20, 2016 Attorney General Maura Healey announced a deliberate misinterpretation of the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
As a result, hundreds of thousands of law-abiding gun owners instantly became “felons in waiting” overnight.
There was no due process, no public input, no members of the legislature debated the issue and the governor never signed it into law.
Licensed gun owners are now threatened with a ten-year felony charge for owning firearms that were legal the day before her announcement. Hundreds of thousands of these firearms were legally bought and sold for over two decades, and they became illegal overnight. Since 1994, these firearms have been recognized by state and federal law as legal to possess, own, and sell.
Attorney General Healey's actions demonstrated a complete disregard for due process. Her actions were about advancing a political agenda for her personal gain.
No matter how you view firearms ownership, you should be concerned by her action. An individual government official should not be allowed to reinterpret existing law.
GOAL, on behalf of over four hundred licensed gun owners and sixteen thousand supporting members has filed a civil rights lawsuit in Federal Court. We have also filed legislation, which gives the MA legislature an opportunity to protect their constituents from this overreach.
We count on your support to continue this costly effort, please see information below for updates and ways that you can support our actions to protect and restore civil rights in Massachusetts.
Healey's Enforcement Info:
Attorney General Healey's Website: Assault Weapons Ban Enforcement. On this page you will find all of the AG's press info, the enforcement notice, the infamous Q&A. and more.
Protests - Standouts
Follow hashtags #HealeyHurtsFamilies - #WhatsHealeyHiding
- 1/28/17 New legislation filed for 190th General Court - please follow our legislation alert page for more information.
- 7/29/16 Senator Tarr's Legislation: An Act to Protect Due Process and Strengthen Public Safety Click here for summary - Click here to read actual bill
- 7/28/16 Letter to AG Healey from Rep. Fernandes with approval of 81 members of the house!
- Letter to AG Healey from Rep. Naughton
- Letter to AG Healey from Rep. Straus
- Rep. Lombardo's legislation - Bill HD.4949 189th (Current) An Act to the definition of assault weapon
- Senator Humason's legislation - Bill SD.2637 189th (Current) An Act clarifying firearms oversight
GOAL Lawsuit News (GOAL v. Baker - Healey & Others):
NSSF Lawsuit News (Pullman v. Healey):
- Mass. AG Healey seeks dismissal of 'copycat' gun lawsuit. 11/26/17 WORCESTER - Attorney General Maura Healey has asked a federal court to dismiss a lawsuit brought by four gun shops, including a Worcester business, challenging her crackdown on "copycat" assault weapons.
- NSSF to Challenge Attorney General Healey's 'Enforcement Notice' in Legal Action BOSTON, Mass.
Timeline of NSSF Lawsuit:
Jul 28, 2016
Massachusetts Attorney General Unilaterally Changes Gun Laws
Sep 15, 2016
"If they can do it so us, they can do it to you!"
GOAL Executive Director Jim Wallace on Boston Herald Radio - This is a great listen for anyone who does not understand the "big picture" issue regarding AG Healey's actions.
© 2017 Gun Owners' Action League. All Rights Reserved.